Jan Johnson Yopp has taught news writing, reporting and public relations writing. She serves as faculty adviser to the Carolina Association of Black Journalists, works with the Chuck Stone Program for Diversity in Education and Media, and serves on the school's promotion and tenure committee, among other committee work. She is also dean of Summer School for Academic Affairs at UNC.
Prior to joining the faculty, she was a reporter, covering local governments, medical news and prisons, and assistant city editor for The Raleigh (N.C.) Times. She also was media relations specialist for Wachovia Bank in Winston-Salem, N.C., and public relations director for a Durham advertising agency. She wrote a weekly column, "Life with Kids," for the Herald-Sun in Durham, N.C., for three years.
She co-authored a text, "Reaching Audiences: A Guide to Media Writing," published in a sixth edition in 2013 by Allyn & Bacon. A second text, "An Introduction to News Reporting: A Beginning Journalist's Guide," was published in 2005. She wrote "A Legacy of Caring: The First Fifty Years of the Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust," published in 1997. She also edited "Bicentennial Chronicles," published in June 1998.
For four years she was the co-director, then the director, of the Freedom Forum Rainbow Institute, a national program that selected 15 high school students each year to study journalism in a three-week intensive program.
In 1995, she received the David Brinkley Teaching-Excellence Award given in the school and a Favorite Faculty Award from the Class of 1995 and the University's General Alumni Association.
- M.A., University of Florida
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Yopp, Jan Johnson, and McAdams, Katherine C. Reaching Audiences: A Guide to Media Writing, Allyn & Bacon, Sixth Edition, 2013
- Yopp, Jan Johnson, McAdams, Katherine C. and Thornburg, Ryan, Reaching Audiences: A Guide to Media Writing, Allyn & Bacon, Fifth Edition, 2010
- Edited A Century of Excellence: 100 Years of Journalism Education at UNC-Chapel Hill, author Thomas Bowers, 2010
- Yopp, Jan Johnson, and McAdams, Katherine C., Reaching Audiences: A Guide to Media Writing, Allyn & Bacon, Fourth Edition, August 2006
- Yopp, Jan Johnson, and Haller, Beth A., Introduction to Reporting: A Beginning Journalist’s Guide, Allyn & Bacon, August 2004