About the programme
The Bloomberg-UNC-City Business Journalism Diversity Programme
22-26 June 2020
Through the Bloomberg-UNC-City Business Journalism Diversity Programme, students will have the opportunity to join a week-long programme that will show how business journalists report on what's most at stake in the economy, global stock and bond markets, government regulations and the job market. The programme is supported in partnership with City, University of London’s Department of Journalism and the UNC School of Media and Journalism.
All costs to participate in the programme, including accommodation and transportation, will be covered.
Programme instruction will be provided by a number of senior Bloomberg journalists and executives including Matt Winkler, Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Bloomberg News, who wrote the book on how Bloomberg reporters should cover business news, entitled The Bloomberg Way. The programme will lead the participants through The Bloomberg Way, the principles of reporting, editing and applied business and economic knowledge that helped transform Bloomberg News into the world's most successful business reporting operation. Participants will learn to demonstrate that the story of the economy, business and markets is best recorded when the focus is on the greatest diversity of participants.
Participants of the program will:
- Acquire a basic understanding of market and financial concepts.
- Learn the fundamentals of business journalism, one of the highest-demand fields in media today.
- Practice interviewing techniques and reporting strategies in hands-on instruction with Bloomberg journalists.
- Gain insights on working in a diverse environment and the importance of representation in journalism.
- Join an accomplished group of fellow students and program alumni who will serve as mentors as you navigate your career path.