C.A. Tuggle — Dr. T to his students — enjoyed a 16-year career in local television news and media relations before returning to academia to educate and train a new wave of broadcast journalists. He spent 11 years at WFLA-TV, the NBC affiliate in Tampa/St. Petersburg, the nation's 13th largest media market. He has held many newsroom titles, but he spent most of his career as a sports reporter/producer.
His forte as a teacher is developing storytellers — journalists who can use the language and all the tools available to them to turn out memorable broadcast reports. Broadcast and electronic journalism students broadcast one live installment of the TV news program Carolina Week, one live episode of the radio newscast Carolina Connection and one live installment of the sports highlights, analysis and commentary show SportsXtra per week.
Tuggle is the recipient of an Edward Kidder Graham superlative faculty award, the David Brinkley Teaching Excellence Award and the Ed Bliss Award, which is a national honor for broadcast journalism educators who have made significant and lasting contributions to the field throughout their careers.
- Ph.D., University of Alabama
- M.A., University of Florida
- B.S.J., University of Florida
- Tuggle, C. A., Carr, F., and Huffman, S. (2013). Broadcast News Handbook: Writing, Reporting, and Producing in a Converging Media World. Fifth edition. New York: McGraw-Hill. Russian translation completed in 2009. Previous editions were 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010.
- Tuggle, C. A., Casella, P. and Huffman, S. (2010): Live, Late-Breaking, and Broken: TV News and the Challenge of Live Reporting in America. In Stephen Cushion and Justin Lewis (eds.). The Rise of 24-Hour News Television. Global Perspectives. Bern: Peter Lang Publishing Group. pp. 133-150.
- Tuggle, C. A. (2001). Gayle Sierens: Keepin’ On. In M. Beadle and M. Murray (Eds.). Indelible Images: Women of Local Television. Ames, Iowa. Iowa State University Press. pp. 178-189.
- Davis, K. and Tuggle, C.A. (2012). A Descriptive Analysis of NBC’s Coverage of the 2008 Summer Olympics. Electronic News. June 2012 6: 51-66.
- Owens, L., Tuggle, C. A. and Holman, L. (2011). Should Certification of Meteorologists Serve as a Model for all Broadcast Journalists? Electronic News. June 2011 5: 112-126, doi:10.1177/1931243111408784