Frequently Asked Questions — Academic Advising


UNC Academic Advising is located in Steele Building and available to all admitted UNC students.

Hussman Academic Advising is located in the Undergraduate Hub area on the first floor of Carroll Hall and is intended for admitted Hussman students only.

Students not yet admitted to UNC Hussman should report to Steele Building for all academic advising needs.


All students must apply for graduation through their ConnectCarolina account. If you do not see the “Apply for Graduation” link, you are not currently eligible to apply. If you believe this is in error, please contact Hussman Academic Advising. Don’t see your graduation date? No worries! The system is not open to you yet.

Click here to view more information from the Office of the University Registrar on applying for graduation through ConnectCarolina.

Deadlines for UNC graduation applications: ·Please see the list of UNC graduation-related dates and deadlines on the Office of the University Registrar site.

Undergraduate and graduate students majoring or minoring in the Hussman School of Journalism and Media may seek out independent study and directed-reading course opportunities with faculty members who agree to supervise their work. An independent study or directed-reading course can take the form of (1) research that could, but does not have to, result in a major paper, (2) investigation of a topic not covered in the current curriculum or, in extraordinary circumstances, (3) completing coursework for a MEJO class that for serious reason does not fit into the student’s schedule. After completing the authorization form with the supervising faculty member’s signature of approval, the student must return the Independent Study form to the senior associate dean (in the Dean’s Suite) by the last day of classes of the semester prior to the independent study.

Students in UNC Hussman who wish to register for more than 18 hours in a fall or spring semester or more than 8 hours in a summer session must seek permission from the school.

Overload requests are typically reserved for seniors who need the additional hours to graduate or students in truly extenuating circumstances.

Please email the following information to Sharon Jones,, to request a course overload/underload:  name, PID and desired hours.


If you have received confirmation from a MEJO adviser that you need fewer than 12 hours to meet all requirements for that semester’s graduation, you may be eligible to carry a senior underload.

You must be enrolled in all remaining degree requirements and intend to graduate at the end of the current semester. Please read the following carefully before deciding on carrying a senior underload.

As a full-time undergraduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, you are required to carry at least twelve (12) academic credit hours every semester. However, in the Hussman School of Journalism and Media during your final semester you are permitted to carry a course load of fewer than twelve (12) credit hours if those credits will satisfy ALL remaining graduation requirements. For reporting purposes, you will be considered a part-time student.

·Carrying an academic underload gives you the same rights, privileges and responsibilities as undergraduates carrying twelve (12) or more credit hours. You pay regular student fees (with tuition based on the number of enrolled credit hours) and are permitted to reside in on-campus housing, utilize campus support services, and have access to athletic events.

· It is your responsibility to check with your insurance provider and/or with the Office of Scholarships & Student Aid to verify whether enrolling in fewer than twelve (12) hours will affect your coverage, scholarship or loan.

If you have questions or need additional information about academic underloading, please contact UNC Hussman Academic Advising or the Office of the University Registrar.

Please complete the senior underload form to request a course underload.