Career Peers 2020-2021 Academic Year
Are you the person your friends come to for career advice? Do your friends always ask you to look at their resumes? Do you love talking about careers in the media and journalism industry and helping people achieve their goals? Apply now to become a 2020-'21 Hussman School Career Peer!
The Career Peers program is housed in the Hussman School’s new Undergraduate Hub, located on the first floor of Carroll Hall. The Hub includes academic advising, career services and global and immersive programs as well as a triage/help desk to manage the flow of students needing assistance. Career Peers will work directly with the director and assistant director of Hussman Career Services to provide career assistance to undergraduate students. This is an inaugural year and students will be part of shaping how the program runs and operates.
Term: August 17, 2020-April 30, 2021
Salary: $12/hour for up to 8 hours/week (except holidays, school breaks, etc.) for 30 weeks/year. Some evening availability required.
Eligible students must be rising seniors in UNC’s Hussman School.
Career Peers will be responsible for the following:
- Review student resumes and cover letters through appointments and walk-in hours
- Coach students on creating effective LinkedIn profiles and provide tips on how to use LinkedIn as a job search tool
- Facilitate “Meet the Pros” events and employer visits
- Organize and facilitate student-run fall internship fair
- Assist in developing career-related workshops and events geared toward meeting student needs
- Market Hussman Career Services to current students
- Assist with updates to the Career Services website and other communication channels to students
- Other duties as assigned
Each Career Peer will have one-on-one weekly meetings with either the assistant director or director of Career Services and will attend a once monthly group meeting. The group meeting will serve as an opportunity for group training and collaboration.
To apply, please email the following documents to Jenn Sipe, assistant director of Hussman Career Services, at email@example.com. Application deadline is Tuesday, March 31, 2020.
- Cover letter