M.A. Program: Cost & Funding

Tuition and Fees (2019-20, estimated)

  Per semester1 Program total2
In-state students $8,425 $29,978
Students who gain N.C. residency after first year3 $16,708/
Out-of-state students $16,708 $58,968

1Rates for a full load of nine or more credit hours

2Approximate total based on 2019-20 rates, including lower rate for final semester working on thesis/thesis project

3Many students successfully apply for in-state status one year after moving to North Carolina. Residency decisions are based on the state's qualification requirements.

More information about tuition and fees is available from the Office of the University Cashier.


We strive to make our program as affordable as possible for all of our students through generous fellowship packages.

School-based Fellowships

Roy H. Park Fellowships

Funded by the Triad Foundation of Ithaca, New York, the school annually awards Park Fellowships to seven or eight new master’s students who are U.S. citizens. Each Park master’s fellowship covers:

  • Tuition and fees for two years (fall/spring)
  • Health insurance
  • $14,000 annual stipend for two years
  • Opportunity to apply for additional funding for research and program-related travel

Each Park fellow works as a graduate assistant for 15 hours per week for each semester while receiving funding. Assignments vary according to the needs of the school and faculty, and the interests and skill levels of the students.

Park consideration requires an additional application component. See the Park Fellowships page for details.

Peter DeWitt Pruden Jr. and Phyllis Harrill Stancill Pruden Fellowship

The first fully endowed graduate fellowship in the school, the Pruden Fellowship is awarded to a student from North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee or Virginia with demonstrated financial need. The fellowship covers:

  • Tuition and fees for two years (fall/spring)
  • Health insurance
  • $14,000 annual stipend for two years

Eligible applicants are automatically considered for Pruden funding based on their applications for program admission.

Financial Aid Office

Students can apply for federal loans through the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid.