The UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media cares deeply about diversity and inclusion. We recognize the influence our school has on future and current media professionals and scholars, and in doing so, will make diversity and inclusivity efforts an active part of our community, our curriculum and our goals.
The diversity and inclusion commitment is rooted in the knowledge that diversity and inclusion benefit all faculty, staff, students and alumni who engage with and practice these tenets. For us, this means we will:
- Create and maintain an environment that promotes civic participation, values understanding of each other’s backgrounds and experiences, and practices inclusion of all individuals.
- Create and maintain a climate that offers equality of opportunities and plurality of thought and that supports the First Amendment’s commitment to the marketplace of ideas.
- Cultivate mindfulness of the unconscious biases we all have and of institutional inequalities that can threaten progress within the school.
- Recruit, hire, promote and retain diverse faculty and staff.
- Provide classrooms that are and remain accessible to all students and faculty.
We will show our leadership in the community and on the issues associated with diversity and inclusion by exploring innovative ways to realize this mission within our school and University.
Our working goals focus on these areas:
- To clearly define and publicize the school’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- To recruit and retain underrepresented populations to ensure the educational benefits of diversity and inclusion in faculty, staff, students, and executive, administrative and managerial positions.
- To make high-quality diversity and inclusion education, orientation and training available to all members of the school.
- To create and sustain a climate in which respectful discussions of diversity and inclusion are encouraged; take leadership in creating opportunities for interaction and cross-group learning.
- To support further research to advance alignment of the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion with the school’s commitment, to support innovative research and professional activity, and to become recognized thought leaders at the intersection of media, journalism and diversity and inclusion.
Faculty and staff members serving on the school's diversity and inclusion committee include: